Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition that affects the way your body metabolizes sugar (glucose). Glucose is a carbohydrate and an important source of fuel for your body. When someone is suffering from type 2 diabetes, it means the body is not responding to hormone insulin which is necessary for the metabolism of Glucose.
“People take ownership of sickness and disease by saying things like MY high blood pressure MY diabetes, MY heart disease, MY depression, MY! MY! MY! Don't own it because it doesn't belong to you!” ----Stella Payton
There are different causes of type 2 diabetes such as insulin resistance, the pancreas is unable to produce enough insulin, pregnancy that may cause gestational diabetes and many more. But the main and considerable cause of type 2 diabetes is LIFESTYLE and EATING PATTERNS.
How we eat, what we eat, how much we eat, at which time we eat and what is our lifestyle, are we living a sedentary lifestyle or are active? These are the questions that must be answered by the sufferers and they will know why they are diabetic……
Let consider this Disease as a TRAIN because once you start your ride, it might be you will not be able to stop the ride but you can slow down its speed (progression towards the complications).
Factors That Will Buy Ticket for the Train:
The following are the factors that will contribute to buy a ticket for the train, in other words, these are the risk factors for Diabetes.
• Family History of Diabetes,
• Being Overweight/Obese,
• Physical inactivity,
• Eating refined foods such as Burgers, Pizza, Biscuits, etc.,
• Eating high-fat foods such as fries, pakoras, and other fried snacks, etc.,
• Late-night wakes up and snacking after 10 pm.
• Consuming too many sweets or any other sugary foods.
Do you buy the ticket for the train or you are already traveling on the train?
Easy Screening for Diabetes at Home?
Check the following 3 factors:
|Factors||Yes score||No score|
|Family History of diabetes||2||0|
Male (greater than 35 cm)
Female (greater than 31 cm)
Male (less than 35 cm)
Female (less than 31 cm)
If you get a score greater than 04, it indicates you are at risk of getting diabetic or may already start your ride.
So, what should one be done to reduce the risk of diabetes or to reduce the complications of diabetes?
1. Eating healthy foods: Try to consume foods that are low in fat and low in calories. Feel free to eat fruits, vegetables, beans, high fiber foods including whole grains, oats, barley, bran, etc.
“Let food be your medicine, and medicine your food.” – Hippocrates
2. Physical Activity: Everyone must do exercise for at least half an hour a day. This exercise doesn’t mean doing household works, doing office tasks, doing any other routine work; but this means doing walking, jogging, yoga and whatever you want to do so, that should body realize that something is happening differently with me then the body will respond differently.
It will help to
• Lose weight
• Lower blood sugar
• Boost the body’s sensitivity to insulin
3. Avoid consuming bakery items & confectionaries: Restrict yourself from eating confectionaries such as sweets, chocolates, biscuits, etc. and other bakery items made up of refined flour or dough.
“Ants always eat sweet food ... but none of them haven't diabetes?”
4. Choose healthy snacks: choose healthy snack options such as popcorns, roasted beans, and chickpeas, nuts, bran bread sandwiches, etc.
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will involve the patient in the proper use of food, fresh air, and exercise.” – Thomas Edison
5. Get plenty of fiber: Consuming high fiber foods may help:
• Reduce the risk of diabetes by improving blood sugar control
• Lower risk of heart disease as well
• Promote weight loss by helping feel full Foods having high fiber include fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and nuts.
6. Substitute white sugar with Brown sugar: Consume brown sugar, Gurr, Shakar instead of white or refined sugar.
“The Self Care Formula is simple-NITO(5R). Nutrients In & Toxins Out in the 5 Realms (Mental, Emotional, Physical, Environmental, Spiritual).” ― Nina Leavins
Hope this article will help you. For any query feel free to comment to get your answer.